Pages

29 August 2009

Update, in no particular order

Well, it's been a while. Since I posted anything meaningful, I mean. So here are some updates, in no particular order.

1. The baby is growing. I feel her move pretty frequently and I can usually tell when she's awake and when she's asleep, because she's squirmy when she's awake! Now that I can feel her, it all seems a lot more real. Well, the baby stuff we're acquiring helps a lot, too! We don't have a name for her yet. At this point, I'm just hoping to have one for her before she's born. I had an ultrasound a couple of weeks ago and everything they could see looked good, but she was so wiggly that they couldn't get all the measurements they needed so I have another one in a couple more weeks. She's 20 weeks tomorrow, which makes her half a baby (Dave keeps saying, "Which half?")

2. Work is pretty stressful right now, though I will say that the satisfaction of seeing this new program that I've worked on for MONTHS now actually get started. Now, if only the details would smooth themselves out. For those of you who remember, it's nothing like my first semester in this job! Much, much better.

3. I'm becoming more and more interested in eating naturally and, as much as possible, locally. Living in my particular section of Los Angeles actually makes that fairly difficult. In fact, I've looked and looked for a blog of someone living here who does something similar, but I haven't had any luck! Dave and I are just at the beginning of this journey, I think . . . not doing a whole lot about it, yet, partly because there's not much we can do and partly because of our individual tirednesses, but partly because we want to make changes deliberately and fit them into our lives in a way that's sustainable, and that's even more difficult. But I think it's where we're headed.

4. Most of you know that I went to the Glen Workshop put on by Image Magazine at the end of July and beginning of August. It was quite the experience. Overall, very positive, though my tiredness made it hard for me to take advantage of everything I wanted to. But I met great people, had a critique group that really "clicked" and felt like I got some good feedback on my writing.

5. I'm not writing a whole lot, just now. Darn tiredness. I can blame the baby for that, right? But I am writing some, bits and pieces here and there. Keeping my feet wet, I guess, until I can fathom doing it with some kind of regularity again.

6. I feel like I've pretty much said goodbye to Dave for the semester. It's not that bad, but with his 40 hours of work, 3 classes, and 3-4 intense workouts every week, our time has gone from relaxed and lingering to hurried and intense. Life is a transition, I guess. And it will be worth it in the spring, when he only takes one class and can be around to learn to parent with me.

7. Speaking of Dave, his new workout routine (check out CrossFit) is helping so much! He's this close (see my fingers almost touching) to his fitness goals and so excited to finally be seeing some progress again. This brings us one step closer to his military chaplaincy goal.

Overall, I am well. Things are well. Life is full, and God is good.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for your update! I love reading about your life.

Regarding #3, by "natural" and "local" do you mean organic and locally grown? Or just whole foods? Or a combo?

Not sure where you're living these days, but you could check out this CSA program: http://www.goeorganics.com/.
It's probably too far from you, but maybe they can refer you to another CSA. They also have a blog which might give you ideas.

And what about Trader Joe's? I get lots of organic/natural/whole-food products there.

Happy wholesome eating!

Sarah said...

Thanks for your thoughts. It's great to hear them.

By "natural" and "local" I do mean organic and locally grown, as much as possible, though I'd probably settle for whole foods when I can't find those...I don't feel rabid about either of them. TJs is good...I've heard good things about Sprouts and Henry's as well...haven't done much at either, yet. I'll definitely check out your CSA.

Tammy said...

Hi Sarah.
We have an update-- this leaves me less devastated. :) Looks like you guys have a lot going on. Sometimes I forget you live in L.A. As a matter of fact I am not sure that ever sank in at all. The California part did, but L.A.? Nope. Did not.

I asked Christianne the other day if she ever went surfing, she said no. So, have you ever went surfing? Hey, have you ever been bitten by a shark? I watch realty shows ya know. People get shark attacked all the time.

I got shark bit once. Well, I was drinking so it could have been a cat fish.

heather said...

I try to do organic and locally, but it's hard to find that combo. It's either organic or local.
So I tried growing a garden. Thus far, not terribly productive except for one tomato bush that gives me enough little yellow pear tomatoes to feed Mumbai.

Sarah said...

Tammy--That's funny that you never made the socal link ;) And no, I've never been surfing. Tried boogie boarding a couple of times because Dave likes it so much, but I'm not actually a huge fan of the ocean in general. Sorry about that shark bite...

Heather--I would love to try gardening...too bad I live in an apartment with lighting so poor all my houseplants already died. Somehow, I can't bring myself to cultivate something when I know I"m only leading it to a death where it doesn't even get to enjoy its purpose. Too bad little yellow tomatoes can't save Mumbai!

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh! I wanted to go to the Glen this year. But it just wasn't the right time. [wishing I could have met you]

I love that part about "which half". :)

Sarah said...

Oh, I wish I could have met you, too, LL! I hope it's the right time for you someday...it's a fabulous place.

kirsten said...

Thanks for the update!! It's good to hear your voice in this space again, even if you are just so tired and busy.

You know I'm a big fan of the whole foods/organic foods thing ... so good for you and the community!!

Love you, girl!!

sojourner said...

Sarah, an update! how did i miss this! thank you and nice to hear all that is going on in your lives!