Pages

08 September 2010

The Lived-in Life



There is a peace and a rhythm that comes with choosing to live in today's moments without trying to escape them or make them into something they're not. It's a slow, settled feeling, more akin to earth than heaven, that creeps up so slowly I don't realize it's there until I feel a golden, heavy feeling in my middle.

Compassion comes, for the drippy-nosed babe who doesn't understand why she can't breathe. Love comes, for he who holds my hands and doesn't fail even when we forget that walking on quicksand isn't normal. Contentment comes, between one folded shirt and the next.

The fruit of a life lived-in, not lived-around or lived-near, mirrors the fruits of our Savior-God himself. And those fruits fill the soul from the center out. I imagine, eventually, it will overflow, sending rivulets and then streams and rivers of fullness to all who come to partake.

All this, from a life I would change so much about if it were up to me. Truly, all's grace.



The prose may be imperfect, but you may find your heart there anyway.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah: Sometimes I read your blog, and I wanted to say that this post is beautiful and so true -- I also am surprised by the pleasant feeling that a day takes on when I stop trying to imagine a perfect life for myself and instead live the one I have been given. So, thank you for writing this. :)
~Jane E.

Brian Miller said...

i am glad you find those in the simple small moments...being content is a struggle for me at times. kinda glad we dont get to change everything we want to...

Shannan Martin said...

Isn't this really where it's at? To enjoy the everyday...to enjoy every gift? Thank you for these words of truth and beauty.

Kat said...

Wonderfully written post on such a beautiful topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

L.L. Barkat said...

I am just now trying to live in... days too tired to get out of bed, swollen ankles and pain (they tell me, don't they, that I am alive?), sunsets I usually don't see when I am well and off making dinner at sunset time, green tea my daughter has made and set at my bedside.

I like the idea of living into wherever we are. A small shift in focus that makes life come alive.

Unknown said...

Powerfully beautiful. How important to dwell in the everyday moments, relishing the beauty of what is. Well done.

sojourner said...

your lived-in life rings of peace

Nancy said...

Somewhere I've heard the term "inhabiting time," as opposed to spending time, or wasting time. This is what your post made me think of--being fully present, alive in time--inhabiting it. Lovely.

Mommy Emily said...

oh my goodness, i'm crying again. i'm not sure what it is about this imperfect community... i believe the spirit is really anointing these posts. loved the "contentment, between one folded shirt and the next." loved the idea of living in life, not around it... beauty. absolute beauty, sarah.

Jenny Jack said...

Well said my friend...

Sarah said...

Thanks for your presence here - your words bless me more than I can say. Be well, friends. Walk under His mercy this weekend.